Archive for August, 2006

Glueing gunwales and stringers

Monday, August 21st, 2006

During the past three days I glued gunwales and stringers to the hulls. The gunwales required a lot of bending so that they would fit to the side panels. This meant that they needed to be screwed to ply so that they would keep their bent form. I started by placing the screws to correct places so that the screws just need to be tighten:

Preparing screws

After the screws were prepared I just applied the epox and then bent the gunwale to shape and tightened the screws. The gunwale is bent quite much where rear deck is connected to the main deck.
Gunwale glued

The stringers were glued in similar manner as the gunwales (they were only easier because they didn’t need to be bent).

Making gunwales and stringers

Tuesday, August 8th, 2006

The gunwales and stringers are made from wrc (western red cedar, “j√§ttil√§istuija” in Finnish). I had some problems finding wrc in Finland, in local woodshops nobody seemed to know what I was looking for. Luckily I found out that wrc was a high end sauna bench material, it seems to smell nice when it’s wet, we noticed that when bringing it home in poring rain ;) Btw, couple of boards of wrc were as expensive as couple of sheets Okume ply…

Making wrc slabs

I cut gunwales and stringers with bandsaw to almost correct size and then used plane and sandpaper to trim them to correct size. Some tapering was needed because I didn’t have proper sawing table, thus the outcome wasn’t perfectly straight.

Keel panels

Monday, August 7th, 2006

The keel panels were cut from side panel leftovers:

Uncutted keel panels

The side panel remnant plywood was cut half so that the keel panel would be wide enough in the middle. Once again some drawing was done to plot the keel shape on plywood and then it was cut out. Final touches were done with plane and sandpaper. Resulting keel panels lying on top of side panels:

Trimmed keel panels

Most of the work was done yesterday, today I just did the final trimming.

Cutting and trimming

Saturday, August 5th, 2006

Today I did final cuts on side panels:

Final sidepanel cuts

The side panels were also trimmed to be symmetrical:

Trimming the side panels

The cutting and trimming took only 10 hours. At this point there hasn’t been any problems.

Drawing and cutting

Friday, August 4th, 2006

Earlier this week I trimmed the hull sheets to fit together and glued them together with epox. Now we have two huge pieces of plywood that cannot be fitted anywhere. :) Today I did a lot of drawing i.e. plot out the hull shapes:

Plotted panel shapes in sheet

I also started to cut the side panels out of the sheets with jigsaw:

Cutting out side panels