Archive for November, 2006

Trimming the bulkheads

Thursday, November 30th, 2006

I have been doing small tasks lately and it feels like I haven’t made any real progress at all. As a tribute to doing things without any visible progress I trimmed the bulkheads last weekend. Maybe next weekend I’ll manage to do some real work with the hulls again and maybe I could take some pictures with bulkheads inside the hulls :)

Bulkheads

Well I took couple of pictures though. The first one above shows the frontmost and biggest bulkhead together. The smaller bulkhead show the hull shape at bow, it shows that the Blade design has quite much of flotation volume near keel line. The bigger is just front of the front beam, the hull changes quite much in one and half meters.

Bulkheads bow and transom

I took also picture with the last bulkhead. The picture above shows nicely how hull shape changes from bow to transom.

Making the bow stem

Sunday, November 19th, 2006

The bow stems contains two layers of glass and six layers of plywood, so making the stems starts with cutting the plywood and the glass. After the pieces are finished the resulting jiggsaw puzzle needs to be solved with glue. The picture below contains the puzzle pieces.
Puzzle pieces
After the pieces are glued and the glue has cured the stems need to be planed. Planing is much faster with the Blade builders best friend (i.e. electric plane), it took around five minutes for each side. In picture below one of the stems is already planed.
Bow stems

After both of the stems have been planed and sanded they still need one more layer of plywood. In the picture below the stems are being cured again. Btw, the brick used as a pressure weight is made by Arabia, so it’s a “design” brick ;)
Stems curing

Cutting remaining bulkheads and reglueing the gunwales

Tuesday, November 7th, 2006

We have snow here in Finland, but luckily the Blade is now inside. Following picture shows place where I was torturing the hulls month ago.
Snow

There is already some ski tracks instead of plywood being steamed ;).
I have been lazy couple of last weeks and have not updated the blog. The remaining bulkheads were cut at the end of October and yesterday I reglued the missing gunwales. Following picture show the newly attached gunwales.

Hull from front